Jillian Michaels is honest and tough. She embodies the definition of tough love. And sometimes that is exactly what you need.
We are living in a time where obesity is climbing but we are still being lied to by mass media, our government, and almost all of the “health” industry. Here’s a secret: you’re worth more sick than you are healthy. You are. That is not an opinion that is a fact. When you are fat and unhealthy it is a result of you spending a lot of money on unhealthy snacks, processed food, and takeout and coupling it with sitting around doing nothing but watching television and surfing the internet. Then you get sick from that lifestyle and you pay all kinds of money for doctor’s visits and medications and bigger clothes. The people that sell this crap need you to stay fat. They need you stay unhealthy because you are making them rich.
But there are some people who are in the business of trying to actually help you and keep you from getting sick and guess what? They get rich too! But at least they do it from something you can actually benefit from.
I am tired of hearing people say “oh, just take the stairs. or park your car a little further from the door and walk . If you work in a cubicle for 40 hours a week which a lot of people do nowadays, taking the stairs doesn’t do jack squat. It doesn’t. I’m sorry to burst your bubble but that’ the truth. In fact recent studies show that sitting in a cubicle for the majority of your working career is equivalent to smoking. Smoking!
So I think it’s time for some tough love and some real advice.
Advice that’s going to keep you out of the hospital and able to run with your grand kids when you’re in your 70’s. I want to be like Jack LaLanne or this 70-year old yoga instructor who I met in Bikram last year and wrote a post about –here. Healthy, vibrant, and full of energy. Not fat, decrepit, sick and miserable. I’m sick and tired of people making unhealhty choices and supporting it by saying “well, you’re not going to live forever, might as well be happy”.
Happiness can come from so much more than food -(that is the focus of this blog). But also – this was never about living a long life. As I said before in this article, “Why We Fight So Hard, Why We Care So Much” – I have no idea when I’m going to die and I can’t do a damn thing about it. No. This is about the condition I will be in if I do live to be old. Many people live to be really old but not all of them are healthy enough to enjoy it. A lot of them are in pain for that last 20-30 years. And the sad thing is, a lot of us have started to accept that condition as if that’s just what happens and it’s unavoidable. That is a massive lie! Can you imagine being in pain for 20 years! That is what I’m trying to prevent. Not death. But a living death. That is what living in that condition is to me – a living death. Taking drugs, sitting like a living corpse, unable to move, miserable and going broke in the process. Yes, I said broke – because those drugs aren’t free people! As the saying goes, Pay now at the grocery store and the gym or pay later at the doctor’s office. One way or the other you will pay!
So, in honor of this rant I would like to take a moment and give a proper shout out to somebody I think is working on the right side of the cause.
I know that she has a reputation of being a hard ass and having a very bootcamp style and militant, blah blah blah. But I think that we, as a nation, are at a point where it is time for some tough love. It is not easy to be healthy especially in a culture where it’s cheaper (in the short term) to drive up to a fast food restaurant and get some crap in a bag than it is to go buy some organic vegetables and actually cook. Who has time for that? I guess not a lot of people. But those same people must be planning on having a lot of time to lay around miserably for 20 years – so says their diet.
Say what you will about her but Jillian Michaels is in the business of getting you in shape in the most efficient way possible. It may feel like death but I’d rather “kill myself” for 30 minutes every day than park my car at the end of the parking lot and kid myself into thinking I’ve done anything to help myself. I did not. I did nothing. People think that working out should always be enjoyable and don’t get me wrong – I totally think that you should have exercise in your life that is enjoyable and in fact we should be trying to make our daily activities as active as possible so that our overall lifestyle is just less sedentary. But in the midst of that long term goal, there is a lot to be said for “getting ‘er done”. Just freakin’ get it done. Jillian can help you do that.
You don’t have to be a huge Jillian Michaels fan and you may think she only cares about celebrities and making people ‘Hollywood thin’ and I’m not going to argue those points with you because we’d be here all day. I would like to highlight though some things I think we can benefit from by listening to her via her podcast, her books, or her workouts. Especially her workouts. Take from this what you will and if you really can’t get there – go find someone else who resembles these qualities to help you improve your overall health.
5 reasons why we could all use a little JM in our lives:
- We lead busy lives and we don’t have time to be in the gym for hours and hours unless we get paid to do so (ie. actors). Enter Jillian Michaels. Jillian has created a very extensive dvd collection that now allows us to get a full body intense workout in 30 minutes. My favorite to date is the 12 week program shown above – Body Revolution. I blogged about this many times. The workouts in this program and all of her programs are super tough. Make no mistake about it: you will feel like you are going to die but you won’t. I promise. Instead you’ll get your workout done every day no matter what because you’ll go into it knowing that no matter how bad it is, it’s only 30 minutes and you’ll give it everything you’ve got for the same reason. And as a result you’ll get into the best shape of your life. And maybe, just maybe, you won’t have a heart attack later in life. Maybe.
- If you listen to her, through whatever medium (podcast, website, dvds), you will find that she is a great motivator. She is always asking you to show up. I love that phrase – show up. It is worth saying again because so many people don’t. Show up. You can not just go through the motions and ever expect anything to change. You must show up and play all out in your life. And Jillian is a great motivator for this. We talk about this a lot on this blog: you are overeating and abusing your relationship with food because you are hiding from the great life you were meant to live. Jillian speaks to this so often in all of her platforms. You have to stop sitting on the sidelines of your own life and show up. Show up!
- Jillian is the definition of tough love. I believe, in my heart, that she wants you to be healthy and strong and do wonderful things in your life. She is a former overeater. Yes, she is in our club. She knows the struggle of eating for the wrong reasons – emotional eating. and she has conquered it. And yes she makes money off of helping people conquer their health issues but so what? Better she’s making money off me being healthy than me getting sicker. In a country where our health is at its worst and most of the information is tainted with lies and money scandals, thank God, there is someone out there willing to tell me the truth and doesn’t mind if that means hurting my feelings a little. Better to hurt my feelings and heal me than to make me feel better and kill me simultaneously.
- Jillian Michaels can be trusted because she is one of us. I said this already but I’m saying it again because in my mind that means you can trust her. I will admit – it’s hard for me to listen to someone who studied nutrition but never actually suffered from being overweight and eating too much. How do you really know how I feel? And if you don’t know how I feel how can you come from that place out to a place of healing -you’ve got to have started where I was at some point in order to help me -right ?That’s how I think anyway. And Jillian did start from that place. So she can be trusted.
- Her sense of humor amuses me. In this life you need to laugh. Especially when there is pain – and in this conversation of emotional eating, there is so much pain, so a little laughter ain’t a bad thing. I think Jillian is funny in a “damn, life is hard” kind of messed up way. 🙂 Maybe it’s my dark side talking, maybe you won’t agree, but listen to her podcast sometimes and see if it doesn’t both educate and entertain at the same time. Two birds, my friends.
That’s it I guess. Like I said, it doesn’t have to actually be Jillian Michaels. At the end of the day, this post isn’t really about Jillian Michaels but more about the type of person she is and why you need someone like her in your life. I also have a Barre teacher who resembles all of these qualities and I love her for the exact same reasons. So maybe this is less of an ode to Jillian Michaels and more of an ode to all truth-telling divas of the world not afraid to get in your face and make you see reality so that you can lead a healthy, strong life.
It’s all love, baby.