Hi! Every now and then I like to check-in with you guys and let you know where I am in my own journey. I look at it as an opportunity to put my money where my mouth is and show you that I’m actually doing the things that I suggest you do.
When I first started this blog these check-ins were all about my food and my exercise but as we’ve evolved, I’ve started talking more about how I’m working to live my life “full-out”. The more I focus on that, the better my relationship with food ends up. So, this check-in is more about my goals for the year which aren’t directly related to my weight but I believe the focus on these goals will result in a healthier me.
This time, I thought I’d do my quarterly check-in on my soulful goals by way of participating in the Gratitude and Goals Linky sponsored by Julie at www.fabworkingmomlife.com and Suzanna at Mamamotivates.com
In January I told you guys about how I was still hibernating and I made up a list of more soulful goals inspired by reading The Desire Map: A Guide to Creating Goals with Soul and The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms.
The list I came up with was a lot vaguer than any goals I’ve ever made in the past but they were all based on my core desired feelings which I created after reading the Desire Map. You can read more about my 2017 goals on this post.
My Core Desired Feelings are: Cozy; Bad-Ass; Creative; Obsessively Engaged; Impactful; and Deep Connection. It is my new strategy with every goal to work through the process of achieving that goal while aiming to feel these core desired feelings as often as possible.
I continue to feel so blessed in this life and so grateful for so much. This month in particular, I am thankful for:
- A healthy pregnancy and my upcoming delivery – the baby has been healthy and I am so grateful for that
- Making my last payment on 1 of 2 student loans! Woohoo! I was feeling down about where I am financially but I had a heart-to-heart with myself and realized that things are not so bad at all. Moments like this need to be savored. I will feel so great next Friday when I make that last payment.
- My husband. He is really stepping up buying what we need and getting ready for baby. It’s a blessing to witness.
- My job location. You guys! I can’t express the blessing of a short, some would say non-existent commute! I live around the corner from my job and that has never been as important as now when I’m still working and 38 weeks pregnant! OMG, what a blessing!
- My job benefits. I have been pretty frustrated about my career over the last few years, mainly just trying to figure out how to feel more Impactful and Creative in my work. #CDF. But during tis pregnancy I have truly become grateful for the incredible health care plan my job has. It’s so reassuring during a period of my life that has so many uncertainties. It’s so great to have that reassurance that my medical bills will be covered.
My Goals for March:
- I’ve definitely been goo this 1st quarter of the year with creating more space in my life for my upcoming change into motherhood. I’ve detached myself from more commitments. I’ve made my intentions clear to my friends and loved ones so that no one is blindsided by my temporary step back during maternity leave. I’ve delegated and made a plan at work. I’ve decluttered the mess out of my house to make room for all this baby stuff! (still doing that!) I will continue to make space until the baby comes and be mindful of any adjustments I need to make after he is here .
- I went to see a friend yesterday after getting my hair done one last time before the baby comes. I didn’t feel like going but I was so glad I did when I left that I made a mental note to remind myself that certain people in my life always uplift me and re-energize me with their presence. Those moments totally give me my core desired feeling of Deep Connection. So I want to find a way to visit more, skype, and make phone calls more, even when I’m on maternity leave.
- Start my Pre-Pay plan. Part of my maternity plan is to “pre-pay” some of the household bills that I pay with my last checks before I stop getting paid. I will not be paid for a large portion of my maternity leave so this will help. I got started with paying Hulu and Netflix for the year but I a few more I want to do before May.
- Pre-cook meals. I’m running out of time to do this. I’ve basically been cooking for the week and then freezing a few servings on each end to make sure we have some food available. I need to do more in the next two weeks though. It’s so hard to stand and cook though. So hard! I never knew my stomach could get this big. Aaaah! Lol.
- Finally, I want to have a lot of fun, creative projects “ready to go” in the house. What do I mean by this? I’ve learned that I tend to overeat when I’m bored and uninspired. I suppose a part of me is thinking that won’t be a problem when I have the baby here but, just in case, I want to have things ready and available for me to get into at a moment’s notice. So I want to have good books front and center; a knitting project that I can just pick up and drop at a moment’s notice; a few good movies queued up; a puzzle laying out ready to work on. Just stuff I’m not committed to but is still available to give me a bit of fun so I don’t feel compelled to go to food for my comfort. Given my history, I’m very nervous about overeating while I”m home on maternity leave but I believe this will help a lot. Having these activities ready to go will give me things to be Obsessively Engaged about in addition to my baby of course.
So those are my goals for this next phase: “When Baby Comes”. How about you? How’s 2017 treating you so far? What are you grateful for? What are part of your yearly goals are you working on this month? Leave a comment. I’d love to hear all about it.
If you’re having trouble finding motivation to actually accomplish your goals perhaps you want to take a step back and re-evaluate if those are the things you should be striving for at this time in your life. Focus on how you want to feel. What are the emotions you think you’ll feel when you accomplish this goal? Try reading The Desire Map: A Guide to Creating Goals with Soul. It really helped me get to the core of what I was trying to accomplish and why.
Check out more blog posts on this topic over at fabworkingmomlife.com under the Gratitude and Goals Linky here: Gratitude and Goals Linky
You can scroll to the bottom of her post to see other bloggers post on the subject.
Related Posts on FoodLoveMe/FoodHateMe:
Become a Student of the School of Greatness ……. (Book Review)